Why is it important to have a regular GPFebruary 20, 2021
For many people attending a medical appointment, this can be a time of great anxiety.
The environment is different, there are new faces, smells and sounds. For people with a disability, a busy waiting room can be particularly over-stimulating and stressful.
Here are some tips for reducing the anxiety of attending your GP medical appointment:
- Think about how long you will need for your appointment. If you plan to talk about a few things, you may need longer. Most appointments at Adelaide Disability Medical Services are booked as 30 minute appointments as a standard.
- Bring along a support person. This is particularly useful if it is someone who knows you well and can include a family member or disability support worker.
- Make a list of your questions or concerns to bring in with you on the day. This can help you to remember on the day of your appointment.
- Bring along any other important paperwork or medication charts.
- Let our staff know if there is anything we can do to help you to be comfortable in your appointment or if you have any special needs e.g. for communication or if particular items/music can make you feel more at ease during your appointments.