GP Management Plans for People with a DisabilityJune 10, 2020
Annual Health Assessments for People with an Intellectual Disability in Adelaide
People with an Intellectual Disability may experience challenges with attending frequent medical appointments.
It is important that people with an Intellectual Disability have a thorough Annual Health Assessment which focuses on current issues and preventing future health problems.
This is a dedicated appointment in which your GP will ask you questions about all aspects of your health and a comprehensive examination of your body also takes place.
Is there an extra cost for an Annual Health Assessment?
Medicare provides a rebate for this to occur every twelve months.
Medicare item 701 is for a brief assessment (up to 30 minutes), 703 is for a standard assessment (up to 45 minutes), 705 is for a long assessment (up to 60 minutes) and 707 is for a prolonged assessment.
How to get the most out of your Annual Health Assessment for an intellectual disability:
- When booking your appointment, advise the receptionist that the appointment is for the Annual Health Assessment so that they can ensure a long appointment is appropriately booked.
- Make sure you come prepared: if needed, bring a support person who knows you well who may also be able to help answer questions.
- Bring any documentation such as your medication chart, immunisation records, bowel charts, behaviour charts and anything else you think is relevant to your health.
What happens at the appointment for an Annual Health Assessment:
- At the appointment, your GP will ask you questions about your vision, hearing, teeth, bowel and bladder function, enquire about your mental health, check your blood pressure and heart rate, listen to your chest, examine your skin and feet, amongst other things.
- At the conclusion of the appointment, your GP will create a list of actions to work through over the next few months. This may include arranging referrals to other Doctors or Allied Health Practitioners, arranging blood tests or scans or recommending immunisations or different medications.
- Your GP will provide you with a copy of your Annual Health Assessment for your records which will have the list of actions.
- Future appointments will also be made to follow up on the Annual Health Assessment recommendations and any test results.
- If you also have a Chronic Disease, you may be eligible for a GP Management Plan. Please speak to your GP about this.